May Eco-tip: With summer fast approaching, many people will be fleeing the Hong Kong heat and traveling to destinations throughout the world. Waste reduction in popular tourist areas is very important. Often these places have poor waste infrastructure and cannot deal with the abundance of plastic used. Here are some things to keep in mind to be an ocean friendly traveler:
- Before you leave be sure to turn off and unplug appliances to save electricity.
- On the plane reduce waste using your own cup, cutlery and water bottle (staff can refill it).
- A little research is all it takes to find an environmentally conscious hotel or resort.
- Become familiar with your hotel's recycling program. And don't be afraid to make suggestions on the comment cards in the rooms or to management if they're lacking.
- Avoid takeaway food and drinks in styrofoam where you can.
- Order drinks without straws or carry your own reusable one.
- Save water and energy by reusing towels and bed linens instead of having them changed daily.
- Save energy by turning the thermostat up a degree or two in your room.
- When choosing souvenirs buy local handicrafts not wrapped in plastic if possible
- And don't forget to carry your reusable water bottle, cutlery set and shopping bags!