what's up next
February Fabric Sale!
February 1 - February 29 -- in the Creative Reuse shop
Take 20% off EVERYTHING in the fabric section, from yardage to yarn, lace to looms, buttons to bedazzlers! Make sure to also keep an eye out for special low price grab bags throughout the fabric section.
Bar Crafts: Valentine's Edition!
Sunday, February 7 from 6pm-9pm -- at the Allegheny Wine Mixer
Check out the lovely projects we have available for you to make at this month's Bar Crafts: Put 'Cha in the Mood Love Candle, Shapely Images, The Fastest Route to Love is Through A Stomach Collage, Make Their Hearts Sing Love Necklaces, and Luck of the Draw Garland. Join us and make a few at our monthly adults-only night at the Allegheny Wine Mixer in Upper Lawrenceville.
Artist in Residence Demonstration Day!
February 7th from 12-4pm -- in the Creative Reuse shop
Drop by and see what artist in residence Juliet Pusateri is working on! Find out which materials she has chosen, the process she is using to transform the materials, and a glimpse at what will be presented during her 2-month gallery show.
Here's what our Creative Education Team is up to in February:
- Join us at "The Birds & the Bees" After Dark 21+ night at Carnegie Museum of Natural History on February 5th from 6:00-10:00 pm. We'll be making cards and gifts with courtship-inspiring, natural-history-themed reclaimed materials. We recommend buying a ticket and coming out to enjoy crafting with us, square dancing with Steel City Squares, honey tasting, and Pterosaur viewing.
- We have a few groups using our space to do their own creating. These groups include the Homeschool Co-op of Pittsburgh making Valentines Cards and another Odyssey of the Mind group planning their skit.
- We will be hosting a field trip for a "Secret Pittsburgh" Literature class from University of Pittsburgh. They're exploring spaces around the city to create an online guidebook!
- On February 20th, we'll be back at the Carnegie Library of Homestead for another adventure in reuse crafting: a trophy making workshop. We'll be bringing trophy parts, hardware, and lots of other fun materials, along with know-how, to help our participants celebrate someone special with a custom trophy.
And here's what the Creative Education team accomplished in January:
- We hosted Odyssey of the Mind for several sessions, and were happy to be their go-to space for creative problem-solving!
- We visited a meeting of the Homewood Junior Girl Scouts and remixed some jewelery. We brought costume jewelry to be disassembled, intriguing alternative beads, and lots of jewelry findings. See the results here!
- We had a booth at Everything Afterschool, an enrichment fair hosted by APOST, where we got to connect with a ton of terrific after-school programs and providers.
- We had a fun little activity table at the East End Food Co-op's annual Winterfest. Participants made unique wearable art on reclaimed buttons and even did a little thinking outside the box. See pictures in our Facebook album!
- We visited the Carnegie Library of Homestead and facilitated an afternoon of making artful, reclaimed dioramas. We brought boxes and cases to host miniature scenes and materials to let one's mind run wild.
Keep up to date on our program appearances by following us on Facebook and our website!
Many thanks to the following businesses who chose to reusein January by donating their discards to Creative Reuse! They donated over 2,000 pounds of material to us last month!
If your business would like to discuss how to donate their discards to Creative Reuse, please contact Barbara Moore at email@example.com
Stay tuned to our newsletter and Facebook page for details about our exciting collection event, RECLAIM, coming up in the spring!
We were so pleased to be able to support the 18th Annual Summit Against Racism and the MLK Day Celebration Love Letter Project at the Union Project last month. Find out more about our sponsorship program HERE.
volunteer with us!
We couldn't do what we do without an amazing team of volunteers and interns who give their time to keep the Creative Reuse magic going. We're announcing a new way to get involved: join our Volunteer Community Ambassador Team! This special team will be helping us with outreach, photography, putting up flyers, and more. Learn more about this and other volunteer opportunities HERE!
item of the month
Celebrate love every day with this sweet and unique ceramic sculpture of overlapping faces. Just $35 -- what a deal!